QCon London 2011 Experiences and Community
Today, I feel humbled to experience another QCon London conference. It is the fourth time I have been involved, and I consider it the biggest event in my home town.
What were my favourite events and happenings at QCon?
- Meeting with the people and having inspired conservations about technology
- Meeting Wendy Devolder of SkillsMatter and discussing the Functional Exchange
- The Java Community Panel on Thursday afternoon with Stephen Colebourne, Ben Alex, Mark Little, Jerome Dochez and Patrick Curran.
- Twitter conversation with Alex Blewitt about the JCP, the future of Java
- Mark Powell’s evening key note on the Jet Propulsion Lab, which contains many Star Trek references
- Speaker’s dinner where I tabled with Mark Powell, Glenn Vanderburg and Kevin Henney and had a fantastic conversation about The Mote in God’s Eye and science fiction writers, TV, movies and books
- The speaker dinner’s at the restaurant Inn The Park
- Meeting individuals like Christian Kellner and Daniel Temme of TimoCom, Duesseldorf, Germany; Juan Germano of Core Security from Argentina; Gary Harvey of Trifork;
- Winning an Amazon Kindle 3 Wi-Fi bundle in a FuseSource prize drive!!! (Thanks to Matt Thayer)
- Being asked questions about JCP, Future of Java
- Paul Albettele asked me about the future of Java / Scala. Should I learn Scala? Should I learn functional programming? Michael Klove also inquired about Scala’s future too
- Chatting with Googler Ade Oshineye and eavesdropping on his photograph tips to a fellow conference goer
- Meeting Simon Ritter on the Oracle booth and discussing the JavaFX 2.0 early access release and experiments there of
- Meeting Artifactory / JFrog folk again Yoav Landman, Shlomi Ben-haim and Talin, et al
What were my favourite sessions?
- Glen Vanderberg’s Clojure on the Web on Friday
- The second half of Rod Johnson’s Friday morning keynote: Things I Wish I’d Known
- The NoSQL at NetFlix on Friday morning by Siddarth Anand
- Musical singing and playing of a certain Roy Osherove: Team Leadership in the Age Agile (Thursday)
- Kevlin Henney’s talk Putting “Re” into Architecture (Wednesday)
- Gil Tene of Azul interesting talk about Java without GC Pauses (Wednesday)
What were the things I did not like this year?
- No being there for the whole thing, missing out Wednesday and Thursday mornings
- Dealing with Another Other Business during the conference
- Being so emotional after the event (always sad to have an ending)
- Domain Specific Language technical session should have been much better than it was
- Smaller scale conference party on Wednesday evening
See next year and best endeavours for the rest of 2011
Meanwhile here are some photos:-
Collecting the Amazon Kindle from FuseSource’s Matt Thayer
Standing with Ade Oschineye near the Google and Wolfram booths
Wendy Devolder of SkillsMatter (left) and Ben Shlomi-Haim
Geeta Schmidt of Trifork (left) and Floyd Marinescu of QCon (right)
The indefatigable Rod Johnson during his Friday morning keynote
London Agile User Group night at QCon London
I suppose nobody can tell any more lies now.